Hi Friends!!! SO, I posted a picture of my chickpea salad on Instagram about a week ago and quite a few people asked about the recipe! 😀 I decided to make this post for them and anyone who is interested in a healthier, tastier, animal free version of chicken salad! Just before going vegan, I discovered chicken salad, or more specifically, chicken salad on croissant. I loved the salty sweet combination and how easy it was to decide, when out to eat for lunch, on something that was decent health-wise and still had lots of flavor. After going vegan, conjuring my own version of chicken salad was a MUST. Well, below I have displayed a series of photos that will help you create it on your own at home as well as some suggestions on how to serve and share it. Hope you enjoy!
(A complete list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of the page)
Begin with 2 – 15oz cans of organic chick peas. Rinse them, place them in a pot and heat them to just under a boil to make them a little softer. Once they are soft, drain and pour the chick peas into a bowl. Then, use a potato masher or large spoon to mash them up about 75% of the way.
Cut about 20-25 Red Grapes into sixth or eighths. Grab 1/4 cup of Craisins and 1/4 cup of Raisins and pour the combination into the bowl with the smooshed Chick Peas.
Next, crush a handful of Walnuts in your palm as fine as you desire and add to the mix.
Then, add 3 Tbsp of Hemp Seeds . . .(which hold 11 grams of Protein and 30% Iron!)
And 2 Tbsp of Flax Seed . . .
Add 1 cup of Diced Celery . . .
1 Tbps of Sliced Green Onion . . .
1/2 cup of Garlic Hummus . . .
And 3/4 cup of Veganaise, or my favorite Vegan Mayo, Just MAYO!
Almost done! I like to add a tad of pink Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper!
Then, just mix everything evenly and, VOILA!
Alright, so there are 3 ways to serve and eat this stuff that I HAVE to share with you and that I HOPE you try. Here they are . . .
- Serve your chick pea salad over a bed of greens like spinach and add your favorite pretzels and crackers to the plate for dipping.
- Serve your chick pea salad in romaine leaves for some hardy wraps. Adding a bit of balsamic vinaigrette dressing is a nice touch if served this way!
- Serve your chick pea salad stuffed inside Pillsbury crescent rolls (which are totally vegan!!!) for mini croissant sandwiches. I like to shape mine myself into bigger pockets like this . . .
Here is the complete list of things you need and how to’s for this chick pea salad, uninterrupted!
For 4-6 servings . . .
- 2 – 15oz cans of organic chick peas
- 20-25 organic red grapes – diced into sixths or eighths
- 1/4 cup organic craisins
- 1/4 cup organic raisins
- 1/2 cup organic walnuts
- 3 Tbsp hemp seed
- 2 Tbsp flax seed
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 Tbsp sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup garlic hummus
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 large pinch of fresh ground pepper
- 1 large pinch of pink himalayan salt
- Rinse and heat chick peas on stove top (I bring them to just under a boil)
- Drain chick peas and pour into bowl
- Add all your ingredients, mix evenly and Enjoy!
This is one of my favorite things to eat and I LOVE that I can make a batch and eat it over a few days at my leisure:) I hope you dig this stuff as much as I do!
With love and compassion,